The Pros and Cons of Dental ImplantsBy
The Pros and Cons of Dental Implants
If you are wrestling with the decision about whether or not to get dental implants due to missing or decayed teeth, you may be wondering what the pros and cons are of the procedure so you can make the most informed decision about whether dental implants are right for you. The fact is that advances in dental implant techniques and materials have made the decision easier than ever, with the benefits of dental implants outweighing the drawbacks to having the procedure. Nevertheless, each situation is different, as is each patient’s individual circumstances, so a thorough evaluation is a wise choice before making the decision to go with dental implants.
The Benefits of Dental Implants
There are numerous benefits of dental implants, these include:
- Aesthetics – One of the biggest benefits of opting for dental implants, as compared to dentures or dental bridges, is the aesthetic benefits. When dental implants are completed, they look and feel as natural as real teeth, creating beautiful smiles.
- Functionality – Dental implant procedures restore proper oral functioning. By replacing missing or badly damaged teeth, normal chewing and bite can be re-established. This keeps surrounding teeth, gums and jaw functioning in a healthy manner.
- Comfort – Since dental implants feel just like natural teeth, they are typically more comfortable in your mouth than other options, especially removable dentures.
- Options – There are many options to consider if you decide to have implants. For one, you can decide what type of restoration is attached to the implants. Dental crowns (single teeth) are the most common restoration to be attached to dental implants, but other options are bridges and dentures. In the case of bridges and dentures, the implant is used to secure one or both sides of the restoration so it is permanently attached in the mouth. You can also select between traditional dental implant procedures, which may require a number of office visits with time needed between visits for healing, or quicker implant options, such as the All-on-Four procedure.
- Permanence – Dental implant procedures result in permanent or semi-permanent restorations. Once the procedure is completed, the tooth is affixed permanently to a post implanted in the jaw and does not typically get loose or have to be removed.
The Drawbacks of Dental Implants
As with any procedure, there are also a few drawbacks to consider. These include:
- Cost – The biggest drawback for many patients is the cost. Because dental implants are a surgical procedure, the cost is typically higher than most other dental options. For this reason, some people will only consider implants as their last choice option.
- Lack of Bone – Not every patient is a candidate for dental implant procedures. Before a dentist or oral surgeon agrees to perform the procedure, it is important to make sure that there is sufficient underlying bone structure to securely hold the implant. For those with limited healthy bone, however, there are options for how the implants are secured that may still make this procedure a viable option.
- Time – Dental implant procedures typically require multiple visits and it can take a long time from the initial visit until the permanent restoration is secured to allow for the implant to securely attach to the bone and for the surrounding tissue and gums to heal. During the healing process, a temporary restoration is attached to the implant.
- Discomfort – This procedure can result in some minor discomfort. During the procedure, the patient should experience little to no pain if anesthesia or another pain blocking technique is used. There will be minor pain and swelling as the implant initially heals, however.
For more information about dental implants in Queens, contact Park Dental Care today at 718-Dentist. At Park Dental Care of Astoria, we offer many restorative and cosmetic dentistry options, including dental implants. Queens residents, as well as those located throughout metropolitan NYC, will find that we are conveniently located near the N & Q subway lines at the Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. station. Let us show you how dental implants can help restore your smile and can provide an attractive and secure solution for missing teeth.