How To Choose A DentistBy
How To Choose A Dentist
When choosing a dentist, there are a number of factors that you should keep in mind. Doing some initial research and asking the right questions up-front will help to ensure that the dentist you choose will be a professional that can handle all of your dental needs, whether preventative, restorative or cosmetic, and that he or she will also be someone that you feel comfortable with. The key to choosing a dentist is to find an individual dentist or dental practice that will encourage you to maintain exceptional dental health, due to a combination of factors such as convenience, comfort and expertise.
So, how do you choose a dentist? Read on to find out some of the factors you should consider before making your decision.
Five Factors To Consider When Choosing a Dentist
It’s worth taking some time to find a dentist that you feel is right for you. “Right” can be based on a number of factors, including expertise in your desired dental specialty, convenience, personality or just an overall gut feeling that the dentist you choose is one that will meet your overall dental care needs.
- Training and Experience – When choosing a dentist, you want to make sure that you find a professional that has the necessary training and experience to offer you the best dental care possible. You can do some research on dental professionals and dental practices by going online and reviewing dental associations, dental health organization websites and dental directories. You can also call dental offices directly or visit dentists’ websites to check out their training and credentials. If you are interested in specific types of dental services, such as cosmetic dentistry or sedation dentistry, make sure that the dentist you choose specializes in your particular areas of interest.
- Office Environment – Once you’ve narrowed down your search after researching training and experience, it is best to visit any prospective dental practice to get a sense of your comfort level with the office. Does the atmosphere seem warm and accommodating? Is the dental office staff courteous and friendly? Is the office clean and inviting? All of these factors will affect your overall dental experience.
- Connection – You should meet directly with any prospective dentist to discuss your dental needs and also use the meeting as a way to gauge how comfortable you feel with him or her. Comfort level is a big decision making factor in choosing a dentist because if you don’t feel confident and comfortable with your dentist, you’re less likely to go. If you don’t go to the dentist at regular intervals, your dental health can suffer.
- Location – While not necessarily the most important factor, the location of a dental office should be part of your decision in choosing a dentist. It is best to choose a dentist that is conveniently located, either to work or home, so that you can get to the office quickly and easily when you need to. This will make it more likely that you’ll keep to a recommended schedule of preventative dental check-ups and will be especially useful if you need emergency dental service and have to get to the office quickly.
- Convenience – Along with location, you also want to make sure that any dental office’s policy will make it convenient for you to make and keep appointments. Check out the office hours and how willing they are to accommodate your schedule. Find out how long in advance appointments need to be made and what needs to be done if you need to cancel.
Park Dental Care is a family and cosmetic dental practice in Astoria, Queens, New York. We strive to provide exceptional and quality dental care in a patient centered environment. We offer preventative, restorative and cosmetic dentistry services, as well as orthodontics and sedation dentistry. We are located near the N & Q subway lines at the Astoria-Ditmars Blvd. stop, offering convenience for patients throughout the five boroughs of NYC. Contact us today at 718-Dentist to find out how we can meet your family’s comprehensive dental care needs!